James Ferguson came to Greene County in 1850 and engaged in farming east of Scotland, Indiana in Taylor Township. Jim Inman built a store nearby and quite a settlement sprang up becoming known as Snake Hollow. Two men had a nursery in Burns City and thought that name degraded the community and suggested the post office be named Doans. The community had a flour mill, a pottery shop, a distillery, and a felt hat factory. The Doans Post Office continued operations for 75 years before its closure.
Provided by Mildred “Milly” (Coleman) Uland