Located in Fairplay Township, the Town of Fairplay, like Bloomfield, was located on the White River, but not in the path of the Wabash & Erie Canal System. At one time, Fairplay was the largest village in Greene County. The town was actually founded in 1819 about four miles below what would become Worthington. When Burlington was to be discontinued as the County Seat, it seemed probable that Fairplay would be the next location named, but when Peter VanSlyke donated land to the commissioners for the new location, Fairplay was passed by and the new county seat was named as Bloomfield.
Provided by Mildred “Milly” (Coleman) Uland