Cross-Cut Canal

This 42-mile waterway between Terre Haute and Worthington connected the Wabash River with the West Fork of the White River lifting canal waters 78 feet over a summit, supplied by waters from the Eel River Feeder, as well as the Birch Creek and Splunge Creek Reservoirs. Construction began in 1836 and abandoned in 1839, but later completed in 1850 thus enabling the navigation of boats between 1850 and 1861. Since no other section of the Cross Cut Canal was contemplated nor built, it is considered historically to be part of the Wabash & Erie Canal System.