LSHS Landmarks Project Article: Greene County Courthouse
Greene County Courthouse
Located in Downtown Bloomfield, the courthouse is an important architectural example of the work of architect George Bunting, prolific courthouse designer of Indiana and Michigan, and one of only six remaining in the State. Built in 1885, the structure shares the distinction of being one of the few “headless” Indiana courthouses, which after falling victim to disrepair, the courthouse lost its tower in the 1950’s. Prior to its 1954 renovation, the Greene County Courthouse had four corner pavilion towers and a larger central bell tower, each with a pyramidal shaped roof exemplifying the Classical Revival Architectural style. Its brick pilasters emulate columns commonly associated with classical structures along with the rusticated limestone raised basement and steps leading up to the first level continues to give the building an imposing temple-like look. The courthouse is one of the five properties in Greene County listed on the National Register of Historic Places.